Timing is everything. . .

Posted: November 2, 2010 in General Blogging

If you have been following my previous posts, I am continuing with a description of how J.O., my son, came into my life.  Read my previous posts to review the story from the beginning.

The first steps we had to complete was a round of tests on both myself and my husband.  They consisted of some exams, some blood tests, and some “samples.”  We knew what my issues were with getting pregnant, but we also needed to make sure all was well with my husband.  In the end all looked fine and we had the go ahead.  At that point everything revolved around timing.  Timing of my cycle.  Timing of injections.  Timing of getting the eggs.  Timing of fertilization.  Timing of transferring the embryo.  Timing.  Timing.  Timing.

In vitro fertilization involves taking injections to induce the create several mature eggs from the ovaries.  The goal is to get multiple eggs, rather than dealing with the usual cycle that only produces one egg per cycle. Sometimes this is referred to as Super Ovulation.

Some of the injections I was able to do by myself, which occurred three times a day.  The other injections were a little bit more complicated to administer.  So, the doctor arranged for a nurse, who lived in our town, to come to my house in the morning and in the evening to give me the injections. 

This all went on for over a week.  The injections, or at least what was in the injections, really played havoc on me.  It was like a major dose of hormones.  My emotions were all messed up and the hormones were doing a number on my body.  This may be silly, but I even thought I could feel my ovaries. 

As a result of the injections my hormone levels of estrogen and progesterone were much higher than normal.  Obvious side effects come with this.  I was nauseous, aching in the area of my ovaries, mood swings, headaches and feeling tired. 

Then there is the process of getting the eggs, which involves using ultrasound to guide the retrieval  process.  Though I was under some sedation, it was a painful process.  The ovary that was on the side where I no longer had a tube hurt the most because the ovary would push away as they were trying to retrieve the eggs.  In the end I believe they retrieved eight eggs.  After evaluating the maturity of the eggs in the lab, it was determined that six of the eggs were worth pursuing. 

Right after that it was my husband’s turn and he provided the other main ingredient necessary to make a baby. That ingredient was also assessed to determine which sperm were most motile. 

More to come later. . .


Comments are closed.