Back again . . .

Posted: January 28, 2011 in General Blogging
Tags: , , , ,

If you have been following my blog, I am telling you a little bit about myself, my husband, my marriage and my son.  I have had an interesting life and I thought I would share a slice of it.  If you want to start from the beginning please read my post called Another story begins . . . 

 Having our business fall apart was really hard on my husband and I.  He was in West Africa, still trying to create a miracle for the business, when I received the consulting job offer.  He got back home about a two days before we needed to depart for Ohio.  Our clothing and the baby things were packed in the car, our apartment was locked up, and we were off to Ohio. 

We arrived in Ohio and not much had changed from when we were there before.  The only difference was we were there with a nine month old baby.  Our apartment was on the other side of the city but was basically the same type of accommodations.  We settled in pretty quickly.  Our initial plan was that I would begin work and my husband would stay home with the baby.  We could make different arrangements when necessary.

We unpacked and we had three days before I had to start work.  The next day after we arrived my husband was not feeling good and as time went by he was having an excruciating headache.  The headache got so severe that we went to emergency.  As I was in the waiting room, a nurse approached me and informed me that they were concerned about my husband’s symptoms.  To confirm the doctor’s suspicion, the doctor was going to do a spinal tap.  My response was, “What?”  I thought to myself what possibly could be wrong with my husband that would need a spinal tap for a diagnosis.  The nurse suggested that we should remain in the waiting from until they had more information.

 After about two hours with a crying baby, the doctor came to talk to me.  He said they were admitting my husband to the hospital because my husband had bacterial meningitis.  He indicated that it was very serious and contagious.  He said my husband would put into quarantine and treated.  He instructed me to take my son home and to not come in contact with people.  Basically we were in quarantine also.  He said if either myself or the baby started to have symptoms, we needed to come back to emergency.  At this point they would not even let me see my husband.

Who would have dreamed this was happening.  I found out that bacterial meningitis is rare and is pretty serious.  In advanced cases it can cause long-term complications, such as brain damage, hearing loss, paralysis or seizures.  Meningitis is an  inflammation of the membranes that surround the brain and spinal cord. This inflammation is caused from an infection that spreads through the blood and into the fluid around the brain and spinal cord.  Bacterial meningitis is also difficult to differentiate from viral meningitis.  In order to determine the type, a spinal tap needs to be done.

It took several days to get results from the spinal fluid culture. They ran several tests on the spinal fluid to determine the organism that caused the infection.  While my husband was in the hospital they did a MRI to determine if the brain tissue was swollen and to see if there was any brain damage.  While all these tests were being done they started treating my him with antibiotics. 

This whole situation put us in a slight predicament.  First of all we didn’t have insurance, which meant big bills.  There really wasn’t anything I could do about it.  Life, death. Not too hard to make that decision. I was just thankful the hospital was willing to treat my husband.  The other issue was that I was supposed to start work on Monday, but I could only do this if my husband could take care of my son and we were no longer in quarantine.  So, once again I contacted the VP who hired me and explained what was going on.  She was very understanding and we postponed my start date by one week. 

For the next week my son and I stayed at home.  We talked to my husband over the phone.  I was very grateful that he was getting better.  After about five days he was allowed to have visitors.  A day after that they discharged him.

Well that was a dramatic opening act for our relocation to Ohio.  I wonder what it would be like to have a life without chaos.  Sometimes I wonder is this how everyone’s life is or is my situation unique.  I guess it doesn’t matter.  It is my life, and I learned long ago that I am a survivor, regardless of what challenges are thrown at me.  And if life was too simple, I think I would be bored.  Little did I know that those survival instincts would come in handy in the future.

Related topics:

Swallow my pride and move on . . . 
Worst fears were coming true . . . 
A new business can be rough . . .
It’s a different world . . .
Change in career, another move, and starting something new . . .
Good-bye Chicago, Hello Columbus . . .
Chicago and a time of crisis . . .
A place of prosperity . . .
There are good people in the world . . .
Hard times: a need to relocate . . .
And another story begins .


Comments are closed.